Car accidents and crashes are not uncommon on Illinois roads. Immediately after an accident, your concern should be about informing the police and calling 911 for medical help. All auto accidents in Illinois that result in injury, death, and/or property damage worth $1,500 must be reported. It is also wise to look for a car accident attorney near me, soon after. In this post, we are sharing 7 reasons why you need to get a lawyer!
- You suffered serious injuries. Car accident injuries often take months in recovery. If your injuries are serious and likely to impact your life ahead, contact an attorney. They can help in determining the worth of your claim.
- You were at fault. Even if you had a minor share of blame, this can significantly impact your settlement, as Illinois follows the comparative fault rule. Other drivers and insurance companies may pin the blame on you. You need a lawyer to protect your rights.
- No clarity on fault. Sometimes, it is not clear as what or who caused the accident. Hiring an accident attorney can help in determining fault and liability. Your lawyer will investigate the matter and gather evidence to build the case.
- You don’t want to deal with the insurance company. Insurance companies often adhere to tactics, to minimize what they pay for claims. Dealing with the claims adjuster can be hard, and they may trick you into giving a statement. Let an attorney handle the negotiations for a fair settlement.
- You don’t know the laws. Every state has its own car accident laws, and Illinois is no different. If you are not sure of how to proceed with your case and insurance claim, call an attorney for help.
- You don’t mind paying for expertise. Most car accident attorneys in Rockford work on a contingency fee, which means that they only get paid if they win. If you are okay with getting a good settlement and paying for the lawyer’s expertise, you should consult one.
- You have limited time. The statute of limitations in Illinois allows two years, from the car accident date, to file a personal injury lawsuit. That’s not a lot of time, and hiring a lawyer is necessary, to bolster your case from day one. If someone was killed in the accident, the immediate family must pursue a wrongful death lawsuit within a year.
Check online now for top attorneys for car accident cases in Rockford and ask for a free consultation.