Children like to listen to music, interact with other kids, and watch their favourite cartoons using their ears. Imagine a day when your kid shouts: “Mom, my ears are hurting, and I can’t hear what I’m watching” As a parent, you will panic, and the first instinct you will do is to self-diagnose. Upon diagnosing, you might assume the pain will go away by itself. However, it can be an ear infection in children because it is typical for their age. Ear infection affects the middle ear because of fluid trapped in the eardrum. Parents, better continue reading the article to learn more about this infection.
What are the Causes of Ear Infection?
Parents will indeed wonder what causes the pain in their child’s ear. However, don’t worry because it’s common among children. Children have weaker immune systems, so they are more susceptible to infections.
The only thing you need to do is to know how to handle it and the common causes. So, to help you handle this situation, here are the causes of an ear infection in children.
- Cigarette Smoke – You might be shocked to hear that secondhand smoking can also affect the ears. Don’t forget that the human body is interconnected with each other. Inhaling smoke affects the Eustachian tubes connected to the nose and the middle ear. So, if you’re a smoker, try to find a safe place where you can’t affect anyone, especially your children.
- Swimming – Do your kids like to swim? If so, they might experience ear infections because water and moisture get too much into their canal. Because of this, it will cause an ear infection in children, so contact a doctor immediately for a consultation.
- No Access to Healthcare- Lack of access to healthcare can affect your children’s overall health. When relating it to the ear, kids can experience painful ear infections because they don’t have the resources for medical treatment like ear wax removal in Singapore.
- Exposed to Germs – When you leave your kids at a daycare centre, they will interact with other people and the outside world. Due to this, germs, viruses, and dirt can quickly get into their ears. It is why ear infection in children is expected when you enrol them in a class like this.
- Illnesses like Colds – When you suffer from colds, your ears can also be affected. Due to this, an ear infection in children will affect your kid’s health. To avoid this, give them vitamins to improve their overall health.
Here are the common causes of an ear infection in children. But luckily, there are ways to prevent them. Continue reading to learn more about ear infections and how treatments like sinusitis treatment in Singapore can help the health condition.
How to Prevent Ear Infection in Children
As a parent, you are meticulous about your children’s health as you don’t want to risk their safety. Therefore, it’s your responsibility to learn how to prevent ear infections in children. The section will stand as a guide when taking care of your kids.
1) Consult an ENT Specialist
Ear infection in children can be a tricky illness because there are many causes why it happens. Sometimes, you can also assume it is just a simple pain that will eventually go away on its own. Your diagnosis can worsen the situation because you’re just guessing and may provide the wrong medication for your children.
You need to consult an ENT specialist to diagnose your disease accurately. The doctors can also give you an in-depth comment like your kid may suffer from allergic rhinitis in Singapore. You can have a safer approach to your kid’s needs.
2) Provide Medication
After visiting your ENT specialist, you can also ask the doctor about the medication you need to take to prevent more pain and discomfort. You can go over the counter or buy from the clinic directly. To help you decide, here are some classifications you need to remember:
- For children younger than six months, give them Tylenol.
- Older than six months, provide them with ibuprofen products, such as Advil, for fever and pain.
- Another reminder: do not give aspirin to children because it may cause Reye’s syndrome, a severe illness.
For an ear infection in children, remember that an accurate diagnosis can make you recover faster from the disease. So, give the correct medicine for better results.
3) Cold Pack or Warm Compress
If the pain suddenly strikes at night, and the clinic is not yet open, you can offer immediate comforta by placing a cold and warm compress. But, remember to only put this within 10 to 20 minutes to avoid more complications. When putting on a warm compress, make sure it’s not too hot, and check if the compress is not painful for the skin. You can also apply a cold pack when your child drinks medicine as it can make the pain go away faster. It’s also a good technique when your kid is undergoing sinusitis treatment in Singapore for immediate relief.
4) Keep Your Child Hydrated
One of the home remedies you can do is to keep your child hydrated. Giving them lots of fluids will help their body stay healthy because of hydration. So, give them eight glasses of water to treat an ear infection in children.
Aside from ensuring that they are hydrated, you can also advise them to eat fruits and vegetables to maintain their overall health.
5) Elevate Child’s Head and Ear Discharge
Another way to provide instant relief is to elevate the child’s head. When elevating your child’s head, you can ease some pressure. If you have an infant, keep them upright rather than putting a pillow under their heads. It can also help when experiencing allergic rhinitis in Singapore, as sudden relief can improve their comfort.
You can also check the discharge from their ears to ensure their comfort. It is normal to see pus infection, so learn how to wipe the discharge to avoid more problems.
For more information about an ear infection in children, you can visit Dr Jenica Yong, an ENT doctor in Singapore. Visit their website to learn more about sinusitis treatment.